Denied a private student loan for pharmacy school, only have two other options.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
I applied for a graduate student loan for health professions through sallie mae and got denied, but they suggested I apply with a credit worthy cosigner. I’m not counting on that being approved, so I’m feeling a bit stuck.

Before applying through sallie mae, I researched other loan servicers. With the college ave prequalify tool, I found out that I don’t qualify for their career loan, so I didn’t apply there.

This is where I’m facing limited options. My school does not participate in FAFSA, so my only source of funding must come from private student loans (parent isn’t going to fund me with their income). I could either apply with a cosigner through sallie mae, or apply with a cosigner through college ave.

Does anyone have experience getting approved or denied for either of these loan servicers? Sallie mae claims they don’t look at credit score, but rather debt to income ratio. College ave does look at credit scores, and mine is good. However, I do have debt from undergrad and have not started a job since graduating in December.

Student Loans

Apr 22, 2019
I did get into FAFSA schools but I could not see myself going there. Discussing about how this is a “terrible idea” is not the point of my post. I was asking about experiences with these loan servicers. If you have experiences with them, then feel free to share.

Coatsink22

Jun 22, 2019
This is not intended to be a discussion about my career. I understand your concern, but the cost of going to the FAFSA schools is higher in terms of tuition and cost of living. I also got offered an annual scholarship at this school that I chose, so I have my reasons and have done my research. My school I chose is close enough to home where I have options of commuting if housing is too expensive to continue.

Wolfenstein

Jun 22, 2019
Thank you. The school I accepted has a few credit unions listed as the options, but they are all serviced through sallie mae. I was confused as to why they listed them if they’re all serviced by the same lender. Would the credit unions partnered with sallie mae offer better rates than going through sallie mae alone?